Saturday, June 24, 2017

Beat Talk: Interview with rapper GHOST DOG


Check out our amazing interview with rising North Carolina emcee GHOST DOG!  In this interview Ghost Dog talks about his favorite producers, beats, and more!  

Booking inquiries:  ghostdaronin@gmail.com
Twitter: @ghostdogmc
Facebook:  Ghost Dog MC





The Beat Yard:  How has everything been going for you Ghost Dog?Things have been movin' along....been having alot of fun running
support for my most recent album (Dreams of a Wandering Samurai) &
getting alot of good feedback; other than that just been relaxing,
working my day job, trying to expand my fanbase, & getting ready for
the upcoming tour season...


The Beat Yard:  Who are some of your favorite producers / beatmakers of all time?
Aw man....lemme see....Rza (his vintage ish as well as 4th Disciple &
some of the others from tha Wu camp), Pete Rock, Premier, Large
Professor, D.R.U.G.S. Beats on tha 'official' tip.....& Dr. G, L.
Jones, Sharp Cuts, Crafsmen, Poe Mack, & Manifest Beats on tha indie
scene....


The Beat Yard:  Who are some of the producers you have worked with?
L. Jones, Manifest Beats, Citero (<<< all 3 from my crew 1100
Hunters), Sharp Cuts (the other half of my side crew Phantom Blade),
Hattory Productions, Dr. G (outta Manchester, UK under Hell Razah's
Ghetto Government label), Finian St. Omer II aka Chaundon (under his
Gemstones label), Sampai (from Noveau Souffle outta France), Watkinz
Da General, G.I.C., D.R.U.G.S. Beats, Crafsmen, HD Productions (an ILL
female producer outta NC), Introspective Minds, D F L N (RIP to tha
homie) & a slew of others over the years...


The Beat Yard:  What producers would you like to work with in the future?
Maaaaan to rock over a Pete Rock, Primo, or Large Pro joint (or Rza on
some vintage Wu ish) would be a bucket-list moment.


The Beat Yard:  What type of beats bring out the best in what you do?
While I do have roots in that grimy boom-bap....& joints with Eastern
influence, I am pretty adaptable & can say that I have an ear for
generally whatever type of vibe fits the specific part or concept of a
project I'm working on (& at times the beat even plants the seed for a
concept...).  Maybe I'm droppin' some life jewels & a heartfelt beat
might speak to me that doesn't fit into any vibe I've rocked to
before.  I don't like to limit myself, but like to think moreso about
what the album needs in the moment.


The Beat Yard:  What type of sounds do you like hearing in beats?
If I had to pick a couple I tend to gravitate to, I'd say flutes &
pianos, but I also like some grimy keys & have my horn
moments.....also a sucker for a well-done video game/anime sample.
Bottom line; if it's dope, it's dope.  I have a wide range of tastes.


The Beat Yard:  Do you buy beats from producers you like and how can any producer
reading this article get in touch with you for beats?
I do indeed support producers (as long as the price is reasonable or
they're willing to work with me; I don't have a label backing me so
there is definitely a budget...)  I can be reached at
ghostdaronin@gmail.com for anyone interested in buildin...


The Beat Yard:  How would you describe the overall production style and feel of
your current release Dreams of a Wandering Samurai?
There are a variety of sounds on 'Dreams'.....from broken-beat to
straight-up-swordsmen style to urgent to anthem to abstract &
everything in between. I strongly believe in crafting an organic
album....that's just the era I come from; where it was more than just
a collection of songs.  Things either connect in concept,
thematically, directly, or from the way the vibes of production flow
into each other.  As such, it tends to be a rollercoaster of emotions
I try to take it through in a project.


The Beat Yard: Have you ever rapped over a particular beat you weren't feeling too
much, but eventually ended up liking the finish product once the song
was complete?
Not so much, but I can say that I have stepped outside of my comfort
zone quite a bit....something I tend to do from time to time to push
myself creatively.  Not for the sake of doing it; & the beat still has
to talk to me on some level.  Case-in-point; I am NOT a speed rapper,
but have developed the ability to an extent in the last few
years....so I may end up on a beat that has a waaaaaay slower BPM than
I used to be capable of spittin on every now & then...


The Beat Yard: Is there anything else you would like to mention in this interview
that we haven't touched already?
Once again, my name is Ghost Dog & my most recent solo project is
'Dreams of a Wandering Samurai'.  I am also one half of a duo that
goes by the name 'Phantom Blade' & our last project is called 'The
Barber's Chair EP'.  You can find my music online at ALL major (&
minor) digital sites under 'ghost dog mc' or 'phantom blade'.  Look up
the music (I have a good 5-6 projects out); & you can also show
support by subscribing to my Patreon page
(www.patreon.com/ghostdogmc).  Shouts to my 1100 Hunters fam, my
Phantom Blade brethren Sharp Cuts, my Cypher UniverCity fam, & all my
friends, family, & supporters....big ups to The Beat Yard for this
opportunity!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment